Skip to main content

Parliamentary debates and questions

S5W-22465: Kenneth Gibson (Cunninghame North)

Scottish National Party

Date lodged: 2 April 2019

To ask the Scottish Government what action it is taking to ensure that its services that are delivered through Citizens Advice bureaux are equally accessible to people in council areas that have no bureau.

Answered by: Jamie Hepburn 30 April 2019

In those areas without Citizen Advice Bureaux services neighbouring bureau deliver advice provision for many national services such as; Welfare Mitigation, Financial Health Checks, Patients Advice & Support Service, Armed Services Advice Project, Pension Wise and Help to claim. Additionally, webchat and telephony services are available on a national basis along with information, advice and signposting on the CAB website.

Scottish Government also funds other independent advice providers either directly or through local authorities to provide advice services on a wide range of citizen issues, We also directly fund Advice Direct Scotland to provide the service. This service provides free multi-channel, impartial advice on a broad range of consumer issues including mobile phone and internet providers, shops, airlines, rail operators, banks and insurance firms, restaurants, delivery companies, public bodies and other organisations, across the whole of Scotland.