Date lodged: 12 March 2019
To ask the Scottish Government, in light of the statements in its Support for Carers position paper, what other changes to eligibility clients and stakeholders have asked it to consider.
Answered by: Shirley-Anne Somerville 20 March 2019
As part of building foundations for long term carer benefits, the Scottish Government has engaged with carers and carer organisations to identify potential areas for change. These suggestions include:
- Extending the eligibility to those with multiple caring responsibilities and reducing the time required spent caring.
- Exploring the possibility of introducing different levels of benefits for those with different caring commitments in different circumstances.
- Removing restrictions on those studying and looking at ways of encouraging carers into work and education.
- Exploring further payments for pensioners with caring responsibilities including to those already with underlying entitlements.
- Extending the period that CA is paid to a carer when the cared-for person dies or goes into hospital.
- Offering benefits in kind