Skip to main content

Parliamentary debates and questions

S5W-21485: Claudia Beamish (South Scotland)

Scottish Labour

Date lodged: 6 February 2019

To ask the Scottish Government what statutory provisions apply to people who have to leave social housing on a temporary or permanent basis due to flood damage.

Answered by: Kevin Stewart 19 February 2019

The model tenancy agreement for Scottish secure tenancies includes a clause under which a registered social landlord will carry out necessary repairs due to flood damage within a reasonable time, or offer equivalent permanent rehousing as soon as such a house becomes available, and until that time will try to help the tenant to get temporary accommodation if the house is uninhabitable.

All local authorities in Scotland have statutory responsibilities towards people who are threatened with or who are experiencing homelessness, and are obliged by law to offer a minimum of temporary accommodation and advice and assistance. Anyone found to be homeless through no fault of their own is entitled to be provided with settled accommodation.