Skip to main content

Parliamentary debates and questions

S5O-01901: Edward Mountain (Highlands and Islands)

Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party

Date lodged: 7 March 2018

To ask the Scottish Government whether there are generic descriptions across all NHS boards of A&E departments, primary care emergency centres, urgent care centres and minor injury units.

Answered by: Shona Robison 14 March 2018

There are clear definitions in place which are widely used across NHSScotland.

Accident & Emergency Departments sometimes referred to as Emergency Departments, provide a 24 hour, 7 days a week, consultant led service. People should attend A&E when an illness or injury is serious or life-threatening.

Minor Injuries Units are GP or Nurse led. They may or may not be open 24 hours. People should attend MIU when they need urgent care for a minor injury, burn or fracture.

Primary Care Emergency Centres and Urgent Care Centres both provide Out of Hours Primary Care services for patients when their registered GP Practice is closed and they are too ill to wait until it re-opens. We are working towards consistency of the use of the term Urgent Care Centres going forward.

Urgent Care Resource Hubs are a proposed New Model of Care, intended for both service delivery and training purposes.