Skip to main content

Parliamentary debates and questions

S5W-07651: Andy Wightman (Lothian)

Scottish Green Party

Date lodged: 2 March 2017

To ask the Scottish Government, in light of the milestone set out in its publication, Draft Climate Change Plan - the draft Third Report on Policies and Proposals 2017-2032, that "by 2032, 80% of domestic buildings’ heat [will be] supplied using low-carbon technologies", how it will support householders in the remaining 20%.

Answered by: Paul Wheelhouse 16 March 2017

We recognise that the objectives set out in the draft Climate Change Plan are very challenging and that is why we are now working with stakeholders to design the detail of the policy and delivery framework for SEEP, which will be rolled out from 2018. Our consultation on SEEP is open until 30 May, and can be found at: https://consult.scotland.gov.uk/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/scotlands-energy-efficiency-programme/. We are also consulting on how to support the development of heat networks and the planning at local level of heat decarbonisation and energy efficiency programmes within SEEP. This consultation is open until 18th April 2017 and can be found at: https://consult.scotland.gov.uk/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/local-heat-and-energy-efficiency/.

Scotland’s Energy Efficiency Programme (SEEP) will be the cornerstone of our efforts to decarbonise the country’s building stock. SEEP will bring together grants and loans with advice and information, and back this up with standards and regulation, helping to drive improvement. It will be an integrated programme of support for domestic and non-domestic buildings, with a key role for partners in local government, housing associations, communities and the private sector, building on our existing successful area-based energy efficiency programmes such as HEEPS:ABS.

The draft Climate Change Plan is clear that “by 2050, all buildings across Scotland will be near zero carbon - homes will be highly efficient and the heat supply largely decarbonised”. The 2032 milestones articulate the policy outcomes we need to realise as we work towards our longer term objectives. In 2032, it is estimated that 20% of domestic heat demand will be supplied using natural gas.