Skip to main content

Parliamentary debates and questions

S5W-04590: Jackson Carlaw (Eastwood)

Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party

Date lodged: 9 November 2016

To ask the Scottish Government what procedures are in place for situations when a person from Scotland phones the NHS24 helpline from another part of the UK or abroad to seek urgent medical advice from NHS Scotland.

Answered by: Shona Robison 21 November 2016

It is not routinely possible for a Scottish resident outwith Scotland to contact NHS 24 as the caller protocols are set to only accept calls from within Scotland. If the Scottish patient requires urgent care in England or Wales, they would call 111 and be triaged by the local NHS trust.

If it is a life-threatening emergency, the call would be transferred from the 111 service to the appropriate ambulance service.

If the Scottish patient is abroad or in Northern Ireland and in need or urgent care, they would need to contact the local health service. If the patient is only looking for advice, they can visit NHS Inform at